Skip to main content

Total Solar Eclipse, 2024

 

Ever since we missed our chance to view the Totality back in 2017, albeit being so close (Cary, NC) to Eclipse path across the US, we made sure that the one in 2024 is viewed and ends up being spectacular. And what a show it ended up: 3 minutes and 48 seconds of awesomeness!

It needed a lot of forethought and preparations - six months of planning. While 2024 eclipse was supposed to pass through places near to us, we still needed to ensure we are at the right place at the right time.

Eclipse path

NASA has an interactive Eclipse explorer site. We made extensive use of it in our planning. A super helpful site that showed a specific location's duration of eclipse and totality.


There were enthusiasts who charted the path with their inputs. This was super helpful because of the Google Maps overlay.

PlanIt

This app was immensely useful for photography or even imagining from where we could watch the eclipse in the sky.

Places considered

Niagara, ON

Who wouldn't want to have best seat in the world? The path of totality included the scenic over the falls eclipse. We had this as our first option.

Sandusky, Ohio

Base station. Access to US with longer totality time and larger area of coverage. While Ohio is always predicted to be gloomy, this option allowed us a greater leverage.

Preparations

Procuring certified viewing glasses were first on the agenda. No matter the place, we need to protect our eyes so that we don’t get trolled like this or lose our eyes!

We got ourselves the “Celestron EclipSmart Solar Shades” and “Celestron – 3-Pc EclipSmart Safe Solar Observing & Imaging Kit”. The latter had the option to put it on top of the camera.

I also purchased “Baader Planetarium AstroSolar Filtre Solaire” just in case. The idea is to beat the surge pricing as we get closer to the eclipse.

We booked a hotel in Sandusky that was full refundable up to 24 hours. This gave us alternatives in the event we begin to see negative aspects of travelling to Niagara.

A month before eclipse, Niagara mayor informed that he’s expecting 1.5 million people. This would mean access to Rainbow bridge would be impossible for the amazing photo or to experience the bliss. Two weeks to eclipse, Niagara declared state of emergency. This also dampened our spirits.

The weather

For perfect viewing conditions, you would need clear skies. Niagara was predicted to be cloudy with high chances of rain. We used CloudCover report we throughout. This was just one week before. We thought we could try Kingston. Two aspects about it put us back: Smaller totality window and chances of low clouds.

Given the circumstances, we decided to utilize the Sandusky option. Even though Ohio valley is always cloudy, we took our chances because of greater access to other places by road and Larry’s charm! Larry was my manager and mentor at LexisNexis. He retired back in the summer of 2020 and was living in Vermilion – a stone’s throw from Sandusky.

April 8th, 2024

We drove in our new Subaru and reached our hotel the day before: April 7th – a Sunday. We visited Larry’s place, and he showed me options for viewing. The day was perfect – sunny skies! We also visited my college-mate in Cleveland, Senthilkumar, whom I had last met in person back in 2004.

The whole of Sunday was also dedicated to finding alternative places:

All of them were about ~5 hours by road, and all of them were in the path totality path with maximum totality durations. I kept checking the weather for all of these places. Thanks to AccuWeather, WSBT, NOAA NWS Facebook page,, and Meteorologist Facebook pages. All of this information was a lot, but still had to be consumed and combed through.

I woke up at 4:45am next day. Started to check all the sites above including newly installed Windy App (to find low vs high clouds). It rained the whole night, but clouds began to part in Sandusky. Skanda mentioned that based on his reading high Cirrus clouds should not obstruct our viewing of eclipse at all.

After a lot of analysis and at about 7:30 am after breakfast, we decided we would drive through to Spiceland, Indiana – not through highways but through local roads. This is so that we are within the totality path. About 8:30am, when we were getting ready to leave, things began to change. Places in Indiana, for the afternoon, had an increased cloud cover (46%) and Vermilion had been constant at 14%. Windy and CloudCover agreed to Accuweather’s prediction. So, I messaged Larry that we would be coming to his place to view instead of driving to Indiana.

We reached around 1:45pm, the eclipse began around 1:58pm and the rest are in my pictures here: https://radnus.smugmug.com/Events/Total-Solar-Eclipse-2024/n-vCpChW

Note:

  • Never travel back on the same day of event, that too an event of this magnitude. Took us about 5 hours to travel 100kms. Our travel back went from 6 hours to close to 12 hours.
  • Flat white coffees in these places are worst: 
    • The Bean Coffee House, North East PA
    • Vita, Sandusky, OH
    • Joe Muggs Coffee at Books-A-Million, Sandusky, OH
  • Food at this place was fantastic: Jo Wok, Sandusky, OH
  • Food at this place was OK: The Great Indian Kitchen, Cleveland, OH
  • Food here was great: Nawab's Kitchen, Windsor, ON

 

Comments

Popular Posts

Post - 50!

I'll Do Anything for Love, by Meat Loaf - And I would do anything for love I'd run right into hell and back I would do anything for love I'll never lie to you and that's a fact But I'll never forget the way you feel right now-- Oh no--no way-- I would do anything for love But I won't do that I won't do that Anything for love I would do anything for love I would do anything for love But I won't do that I won't do that Some days it don't come easy Some days it don't come hard Some days it don't come at all and these are the days that never end Maybe I'm crazy But it's crazy and it's true I know you can save me No one else can save me but you As long as the planets are turning As long as the stars are burning As long as your dreams are comming true-- You better believe it!-- That I would to anything for love And I'll be there until the final act-- I would do anything for love! And I'll take a vow and seal a pact

Fancy Dress Competition alias 'Ethnic Day' for Software Engineers

Remember the time when we used to wear different costumes to the “Fancy Dress” competition conducted in our school/other’s? Golden times – Fun filled and totally mind-boggling! Guess, I was a born actor and may be talented as well, look at my profile, for the roles I’ve played – I once dressed up as Krishna and yes, there was a girl who dressed up as Radha and we both stood against a wall and stood and stood and it goes on…! Cute, she was. Childhood crushes – die-hard. (Have you ever watched a movie Little Rascals ? If not, do watch or place an order to me and I’ll pass across a copy by borrowing it from my friend – We had girl hater’s gang as well!) Next Ă  Played a role as an elephant in ‘Snow White and the seven Dwarves’ with my friend playing Wabbit. Talent Ă  Went around the girl (Snow White) ‘ Ynaaaaaaa… ’. RAW Talent! Then chance beckoned up on for, to play a role of ‘Hanuman’, and this time went around ‘Sai Baba’ like a champ (read it as chimp?!) – people actually said I toppe

Adieu – The ever devouring machine … My stomach!

Hunger struck, I fumbled and stumbled with a medium pan pizza, which had a double layered cheese. One may say, that happens, buddy! Had you known me you would have empathized in a different way... Rewind back … 20 odd yrs … I am eating a snack, my sister is eating a snack... 10 minutes later because of me watching her eat … I would end up eating both of ours. Few days later … I am eating an ice cream, my sister too is eating or about to eat an ice cream, 10 minutes later because of me watching her eat … I would end up eating both of ours. Few months later … I am eating a favourite meal, my sister is eating a not so favourite meal, but 10 minutes later I started to eat what she had, well after completing what was mine. So, you see, I was born to eat and enjoy food unfortunately (or fortunately for the animal kingdom) the only thing I always ate was clean vegetarian food. And my vegetarian occasionally had eggs in some other form – cakes or mayonnaise. I was known for what and how I eat.

Oh Gawd!

What are the odds of betting “God Exist!” against “There’s no God!” well there might be the other odds which says “God exists, but he does not have influence on our lives!” or wait, “He exists and we are the coins on his chess board!”? I always liked to debate on His existence. I liked the topic very much – GOD! And when I started to read about “The Blind Watchmaker” by Richard Dawkins, the stir started again! Anbe Sivam emphasizes on the concept of God in a different meaning. Now, there’s always the point when the atheist and the theist are cornered and on the similar question – Atheist: Can you prove the existence of God? Theist: Can you prove not His existence? It is the similar to the forward “Dialogue between the Prof and a student”. It is not necessary that if you cannot see it, it does not exist. Though the thought here is, we can always prove its existence, can’t we? Life started from where? It was not a just like that! It was not by chance, it was continuous evoluti

Yearly update to Stork - 2024

Each year, on or about Super Mar10 (Skanda's birthday), I write (on Facebook) a yearly update to Stork about Skanda's progress through his age. I will be blogging as well, from now on. You'll be able to read the previous issues here . Sunday, March 10, 2024, Stouffville, ON, Canada Dear Stork, I hope this letter finds you well. It's been a while since we last communicated. Our little Skanda has turned nine, the magical and highest single-digit number. I'm unsure if the warranty on this mortal coil has expired, or if that happens when the teenage years begin? We seem to have misplaced the paperwork, so any clarification would be appreciated. The past year has been quite a journey! Skanda's interest in Minecraft has grown manifold, watching YouTubers' play/narrate and occasionally joining himself on his Linux machine. He even takes notes while watching. I've introduced him to more games, such as Mini Metro and Mini Motorways. His fascination with trains

Chuchu's 2nd year of becoming stardust

 Dear Yama/Chitragupta - How have you all been? A year had passed since our last interaction . How is Chuchu doing? It has been two years since you he arrived at your place. I hope he has been well treated and he has treated you both well? Well, a lot have happened in the last one year. More leaders of nations have turned their tenure to a regime. More people have been killed - thanks to the war, environmental destruction (forest fire/drought/famine/floods/pollution), and diseases. You must have noticed the turnover - month-over-month on your end; if not please check with Chitragupta. Life has been difficult for many people - sustenance is no more an option. We as a generation are letting down the future. Well, that's not why this post is about. If Chuchu was around, I would have had fun poking him with politics back home. Shruthi has made - apparently - a favourtie of Chuchu called Bambai lakidi a.k.a Kalakala. I never knew that. It is Praneetha's favourite though. We are pla

Marriage Gossips and Others…

Marriage is always fun. Be it relative’s or friend’s or someone whom you had been acquainted and long forgotten his/her existence! What makes it very interesting? Marriage is interesting because… No! This is not a SST/ENG/EVS class. Gossips rule the whole party! She1: Aye! Paathiyaadi avavla? Evvalavu nagai potturukka! She2: Paathundu than irukken, ava husband-u Dubai-la velai seiaraanam! (Now the situation has changed. It is more like “Ava husband-u America-la Software-la velai seiranama…”) She1: Ye Archana inga vayen. Ennadi athu kathula? Puthu model-a? Archana: Amam maami! LKS-la puthusa oru model vanthuthu. Avar kitten ketten, ethu venumo vangikko appadinu sollittu avroda card koduthu-tu poittaru. (Archana leaves after that.) She1: Koduthu vechava. Hmmm! Yenoda athukkararum irukkara! Seriyana oru asamanjam! She2: Amam amam! She1: ?! She1: Atha vidungo! Avvala parungalen, eppadi dress pottundu vanthirukka-nu?! She2: Eva? She1: Athan, tight-a oru sattaiyum

Bad Kid

Episode 1 – It is late evening and you and your nephew (a 4 or 5 yr old kid) are on a crowded road. The kid is the most dreaded kid known ever, known for his adamancy! Let’s call the nephew as S. S spots a road side shop and the seller of it sells choppu saman – basically it is the stuff which is kind of a kitchen set for kids. As they approach the shop, S turns to his uncle S: Mama, I need it. Mama (knows about the kid, but still tries his luck): No, S. We can buy that later, we have already bought enough. Your mom would have already bought you this, and I think I have seen it as well. S: Yes, I do have one, but you see it is old, and the set here has many more that I do not have. Mama: No, S. Not today. Let’s leave. Sometime later. S: No, I need it. And I need it now. Mama: Sorry, not possible. S: Mummy! I need it, I need it, I need it! (Sits on the road next to the pavement where the shop has spread out) Mama: You can do whatever you want it, but the answer is “No

Penpencils

Yes, the topic says so. I thought I'll relax a bit and write about these amazing instruments after forgetting how to hold them and write on a paper. Today, I completed five long years (and some days) of working/existing in one company, right after college. While in college, I wasted less paper, but more notebooks – shabbily put marks on papers. Well, I am talking about the notes that were vomited out of my lecturer's mouth – yes, the same slimy thing. I knew how to write. Write fast - almost like shorthand language which the journalists prefer. I switched between pens (ballpoint pens and fountain pens and sometimes ball-less as well ;)) and sometimes fell in love with pencils. These switches happened after first year, until then I was still a school kid and wasn't unshackled from the rope around my neck to be disobedient. Not disobedient, but a little subtler. Five years! I tried in-between to write - with anything - but failed. I type, though. Got used to it! Not long bac